Monday, February 9, 2009

Mucky Luck

With all the weather forecasters, or as i like to call them, lying pieces of poo, calling for 7 inches of the white fluffy stuff to fall on the slopes of Mt. Hood my Friday night was mellow. Dan and i met up with friends for some wings and brew at "Fire on the Mountain." After dousing my burning palate with several hop infused beverages it was time to get in a restful night. I woke up early Saturday morning to check the ski report and fill my belly with nutritious goodness. I quickly discovered, via the wonderful worldwide web, that the day wasn't going to pan out as i had suspected. I could hear Dan rustling in his bedroom and i quickly turned his dreams of powdery goodness into nightmares filled with icy, edge scratching ice sheets. Yes that's right. . .another snowless week on Mt. Hood.
Left to my own devices i did what any 29 year old with a busted plan would do. . .i slept on it. When i awoke the day was bright, sunny and not effing snowing! I considered another trip into the gorge for another lovely winter hike but without Yak Tracks the adventure sounded dim. I decided to dust off the old fat tire and spend some time in Portland's very own Forest Park. After some tuning and lubing the ol' 7k was ready to ride.

I hadn't been on my mountain bike since i catapulted over my handlebars and onto some downed trees in Washington (over a year ago); all my riding had been on my commuter. Reluctant to get myself into a similar situation, i decided to stick to the more stable, less obstacle ridden double track of Lief Erickson Drive, an old fire road that cuts through 12 miles of the park. I threw my bike in the back of the truck and headed up to the north, and less stroller filled, portion of the park. The parking lot was nearly full when i got there, never a good sign. There were two d-bags tearing around the parking lot on their full suspension rigs. Once i got onto the trail i found it to be mostly uninhabited. I crossed paths with a thoroughbred, yes a horse in the city, and a few couples huffing through the hills. I rode about 6 miles out and in turn, rode 6 miles back. The trip wasn't too challenging, some rolling hills and sharp-ish turns. What it was was mighty muddy.


A clean, pre-ride face.

At the turning point.

My iron horse and map.


Two of my three ponies.

The rest of the weekend was filled with fun. After rinsing all the mud out of my ears, eyes and nose, i took a nap. Two naps in one day, raise your hand if you aren't jealous. Then it was time to clean up again and get ready for "date night." Nothing too extravagant, a lady, incredible dinner at the "Farm" (Todd that place with the risotto that you like so much), and some post dinner libations and pinball. We intended to play shuffleboard at this "hip" new bar but what we discovered was altogether a disgrace. . .the shuffleboard table had bumpers. Effing hipsters! After labeling the bar "Short Bus" (they also had some odd bumper between the flippers on the pinball machine) it was time to call it a night.

Sunday i spent most of my day in the office working on some convoluted project that earned me a bottle of Jack Daniels and a thank you card from the boss lady. Not a bad trade off. This week is "pray for snow week," as i have a 4-day weekend coming to me.

Please join me in prayer. . .

1 comment:

Red Roof House said...

Ahh...seeing the ole' Trekster bike brings back memories. It treated me well on our San Juan Hut trip. The newest Everline will be here soon...have a shot of Jack for me tomorrow. Erin