Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Spank Me


A snow covered Pacific Crest Trail. Nothing is better.

Sorry i've been so bad about posting the last few weeks. I wish i had a good excuse but i don't, although i was nearly abducted by hippies (another day friends). I took a break from the left coast and shot across the country to visit the ol' fam. Going home is always a tale of two trips. Since i moved to Portland i have been telling my mom and willy that they screwed up (i know, i know, it's obvious enough, i don't need to rub it in) and raised me in the wrong area. Hell. . .i think the whole family would have loved growing up out here. But it is always easier to say that if you don't know any different. Spending time in VA makes me miss the people i left behind. I miss spending time with my family and some of my long-time friends. I even miss the pets that live there. Despite the people, the connections and furry critters, i belong here and it's a challenge to find peace with the distance between me and my kin.


Amazingly, there are tones of home in pdx. Christina, for example. I went to high school with Christina and she just so happens to live down the street (for now, she's moving to N. Portland). It's nice having at least a few people around who understand where i come from.


A few weeks ago Christina and i went for a snowshoe trip. I probably should have been up on the mountain working on my 1080 jackaroo tail grab but even Brody needs a break every once in a while. It wasn't the best day for shredding; in fact it was a pretty bad day for snowshoeing. We left Portland with the standard precipitation falling. I think we had both hoped that it would turn into the white fluffy stuff once we started gaining some elevation but we weren't so lucky. We choose the Twin Lakes loop trail which turned out to be a pretty good idea. What really turned out to be the good idea was to leave at 8 am. We headed up the trail and didn't see another soul. Made a quick trip around the lake, plopped our asses in the snow banks and ate some lunch (pb&j on jewish rye and some potato salad from New Seasons). A few sips of whiskey would have been nice to thaw the bones before we started back downhill but SOMEone didn't think ahead (so much for being raised by a boy scout). On our way back to the parking lot we passed about 3 groups of 15+ people. That's where leaving at 8 am pays off. I snapped a few pics of our adventure.


Here's Christina standing next to the snow pole. It shows a solid 6 1/2 feet of snow are below her feet.

This is the view as you decend onto the first lake. The fog made for a nice setting.

Here we are looking at a rather soggy map trying to figure out where we are. I've never been much of one to know how to read a map. I certainly didn't learn this day either.

What the map didn't show or i couldn't read (you be the judge) was this kick ass rope swing.

I will have been living in Portland for 3 years this April and in my short time here i have seen and heard many things, outrageous, hairy, smelly, funny, unbelievable things. I may venture to say this one takes the egg, milk and butter free cake. I was informed by a co-worker or friend, i can't remember, that a new strip club opened in town. This isn't news i typically receive seeing as there are about 500 strip clubs in the metro area and they are opening and closing all the time. But this strip club is a noteworthy strip club. Now. . .i'm all for the liberal, love everyone and everything mentality of the Pacific NW but this strip club takes it to the next level. No, there aren't any donkey shows. This place is Portland's first, one, only and most likely last (and short lived) strip club of it's kind. And it figures it was opened by a Californian transplant. It's our very own vegan strip club. Some may ask, "Scott, what exactly is a vegan strip club?" Well my friends, i will tell you. As disgusting as it may sound many strip clubs in this city serve food (pervs have to eat too). The Acropolis on 99 south is known for it's $5.99 16oz NY Strip steak special, Mary's Go Go conveniently has a back door to El Grillo (Mexican food and strippers, ummmmmmm). This new joint, instead of steaks or chicken chimichangas, serves vegan only fare. Now vegans can enjoy rump shaking while they eat their Tofurky Melts. I hear the strippers still follow standard upkeep rules but many are vegan or vegetarian themselves. I have gotten to know a few vegans in my time here and trust me. . .the last thing you to see is a vegan naked on a stage next to a pole. Okay, maybe the last thing you want to see is a naked vegan walk behind the pole, they would disappear all together. All jokes aside, my mom always told that you shouldn't judge people until you have a chance to know them. So. . .i'll let you know what i think. Maybe i'll have some more pics to post next time.

That's about all the energy i have for now (really i'm splashing on some cheap sage oil cologne, my hemp shoes and headed out to the vegan joint). Keep it clean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are having trouble with soggy maps, you should really try www.adventuremaps.net. Tear & Water Resistant. That is what I use. I'm pretty sure there is one for Hood River, Mt Hood, etc.